Hello to everyone. I know it’s been a while (long while) since I posted but it’s been crazy. Just a couple of months ago I was given the opportunity to take responsibility of our youth ministry here. So, now my new title is “NextGen Pastor” with supervision and direct involvement from 0 -18. I LOVE IT! However, to focus on making some changes and getting things launched to move in a new direction I had to let some things move to the backseat. One of those was CMBuzz…but now I feel like I can begin devoting some time to writing again. With that in mind I thought today I would share some of the steps we took immediately to move our youth ministry in a fresh direction.
First a little background that led to the change. When I arrived here at Asbury a year and a half ago we had an interim Youth Pastor serving. He had taken the place of the previous Youth Pastor who had fallen into the trap of drug use. Following the interim Youth Pastor was a new Associate Pastor who was given responsibility for our Contemporary service, Contemporary worship band, Youth Ministry and attending school. Too much with too little time. Obviously our kids were in free-fall with some upheaval in such a short period of time. That’s where I come in and these are the steps:
- Parent/Student Meeting – I immediately met with the parents and asked them to complete a survey. At this meeting I also share a vision of where I believed our Youth Ministry could go.
- Survey Students – At this same meeting a different survey was given to the students that asked about the things they enjoyed most about our Youth Ministry.
- Plan our first Message Series – we began our Sunday morning series with a series about the basics. Things that they must be doing to grow spiritually.
- Create a format for our Wednesday evening outreach service. Welcoming, Fun, Loud with a Point.
- Redecorate the Youth Room – New paint, New Stage, New Flat Screen, New Video Game systems…you get the idea. We took money from our existing budget to invest in a fresh new look and feel to the room.
- Communication – collect all of the parents and students email addresses and begin communicating at least once a week via MailChimp.
- Texting Service – begin promoting the opportunity to receive text updates regularly.
We are still in the infancy stages of converting and connecting our Youth & Children’s Ministries into a healthy Family Ministry. Check back often for updates.